The remarkable frequency of Blastocystis spp infections among inhabitants of a low income community of Niterói, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Screening for Blastocystis spp infections were carried out in faecal samples from 78 volunteers from a catholic institution placed at a very poor community of Niterói The samples were evaluated through Hoffman, Pons & Janner technique and evolutive forms of enteroparasites were detecetd in 47 (60%). Blastocystis spp was the most prevalent parasite as it was found in 32 samples (41%). Infections by protozoans like Endolimax nana, Giardia lamblia, Entamoeba histolytica /E. dispar and E. coli were also found, but in a lesser extension. Still, the was a predominance of protozoans infectiosn as few cases of helminths were detected. Briefly, although in this study only a small sample was obtained, it reflects, somehow, that this protozoan has become very common and it is unknown what it does really represents for human health.
2. Nagel R; Gray, C.; Bielefeldt-Ohmann, H.; Traub, R.J. (2015). Features of Blastocystis spp in xenic culture of revealed by deconvolutional microscopy. Parasitology Research, 114: 3237-3245.
3. Tan, K.S. (2008). New insights on classification, identification and clinical relevance of Blastocystis spp. Clinical Microbiology Reviews, 21 (4): 639-665.
4. Kurt, O.; Al, F.D.; Tanyuksel, M. (2016). Eradication of Blastocystis in humans: really necessary for all? Parasitology International, 65 (6): 797-801.
5. Sandpool, O. et al (2017). Subtype identification of human Blastocystis spp isolated from Lao People´s Democratic Republic. Acta Tropica, 168: 37-40.
6. Hoffman WA, Pons JA, Janer JL. The sedimentation concentration method in schistosomiais. Puerto Rico Journal of Public health, 9: 281-298, 1934.
7. Silva-Neto, L.M. et al (2010). Ocorrência de Blastocystis hominis e outros parasitos intestinais em uma comunidade de Paracambi-RJ no período de abril-julho de 2005. Revista de Patologia Tropical, 39 (2): 105-113.
8. Silva, A.A. (2006). Incidência de Blastocystis hominis na População da Cidade do Rio de Janeiro, RJ. Newslab, 76: 86-96.
9. Minuzzi, T.T.C.S. & Cuba Cuba, C.A. (2010). Identificação Fenotípica de Dientamoeba fragilis e Blastocystis hominis em pacientes atendidos no ambulatório do Hospital Universitário de Brasília: Caracterização Molecular preliminar de isolados diagnosticados. Rev. Ibero-Latinoam. Parasitol., 69(2): 124-133.
10. Barak, S.; Rajurkar, M.N.; Mallick, S.K. (2014). Detectionf of Blastocystis hominis: a controversial human pathogen. Parasitology Research, 113 (1): 261-265.
11. Del Coco, V.F.; Molina, N.B.; Basualdo, J.A.; Córdoba, M.A. (2017). Blastocystis spp: avances, controversias y desafios. Revista Argentina de Microbiologia. http //dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ram.2016.08.004.
Copyright (c) 2018 Journal of Advance Research in Pharmacy & Biological Science (ISSN: 2208-2360)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
1. Author(s) accepted that the all authors contributed to the work and take public responsibility for published work. All authors have seen and approved the manuscript as submitted.
2. The author(s) hereby grants and assigns to JIAATS Journal all rights to his/her/their work. Therefore, JIAATS Journal will have the right to print, publish, and sell the work throughout the world.
3. I/We assure that the work does not violate any proprietary or personal rights of others and that the work is factually accurate and contains no matter libelous or otherwise illegitimate.
4. I/We further confirm that this article has not been published elsewhere, nor is it under consideration by any other publisher.
5. I/We hereby assign and transfer to the JIAATS Journal copyright and all right under it.
6. I/we agree to the terms that the JIAATS Journal will have to full right to remove the published article on any misconduct found in the published article.