Multidisciplinary Impact of Globalization in the Agricultural Sector of the Ciénega Region of Jalisco
This study was developed with the purpose of determining not only economic, but also social, cultural, political and environmental impact that Globalization (G) has had on the agricultural producers of the three main municipalities of the “Cienega de Jalisco” Region (RCJ by its acronym in Spanish). The RCJ is the second most important region in the state in terms of its productive contribution, and in this contribution the G has generated evident modifications permeated by the type of producer in question. An evident reality in the Mexican countryside is that most of the supplies used are foreign, to the detriment of national supplies. For the development of this study, 15 farmers in each of the 3 main municipalities of the region, Jamay, Poncitlán and Zapotlán del Rey, were surveyed in their own farms belonging to the three strata identified (small, medium and large producers). These were selected randomly from the list of producers of the three Municipal Associations. The information collected was analyzed through the use of Descriptive Measures (Central Tendency and Dispersion) and Chi-square tests at 95% reliability. The results indicate a remarkable impact of G in these five aspects and by type of producer, establishing these as the most relevant: a. Uncertainty in the price of the product and therefore in the income received; b. Dominant use of products and / or foreign brands to the detriment of the national product; c. Increased abandonment of agricultural holdings, and with it, increases in migration and poverty; d. Dropout of children and youngsters who have dabbled in family work in search of contributing to family spending. In general, Globalization has had a complex impact on farms, since apparently it has had an impact on the increase in productivity, but it has not been reflected in the quality of life of producers and has slowed down the progress of national production.
• Cavallotti VBA. (2014). El TLCAN y la ganadería mexicana: 20 años después. En La Ganadería Mexicana a 20 años del TLCAN. Coordinadores Cavallotti VBA, Ramírez VB, Cesín VA y Ramírez JJ. UAChapingo.
• Cavallotti VBA. (2012). Los nuevos retos para la ganadería mexicana. En Ganadería y alimentación: alternativas frente a la crisis ambiental y el cambio social. Vol. 1. Coordinadores Cavallotti VBA, Cesín VA, Ramírez VB y Marcof AC.
• Pérez ERH. (2014). TLCAN, políticas públicas y ganadería en México. En La Ganadería Mexicana a 20 años del TLCAN. Coordinadores Cavallotti VBA, Ramírez VB, Cesín VA y Ramírez JJ. UAChapingo.
• Ramírez VB y Ramírez VG. (2014). La producción pecuaria en México en el marco del TLCAN. En La Ganadería Mexicana a 20 años del TLCAN. Coordinadores Cavallotti VBA, Ramírez VB, Cesín VA y Ramírez JJ. UAChapingo.
• Secretaría de Agricultura, Ganadería, Desarrollo Rural, Pesca y Alimentación. SAGARPA. 2014. Análisis de los Sistemas productivos agrícolas presentes en el estado de Jalisco.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
1. Author(s) accepted that the all authors contributed to the work and take public responsibility for published work. All authors have seen and approved the manuscript as submitted.
2. The author(s) hereby grants and assigns to JIAATS Journal all rights to his/her/their work. Therefore, JIAATS Journal will have the right to print, publish, and sell the work throughout the world.
3. I/We assure that the work does not violate any proprietary or personal rights of others and that the work is factually accurate and contains no matter libelous or otherwise illegitimate.
4. I/We further confirm that this article has not been published elsewhere, nor is it under consideration by any other publisher.
5. I/We hereby assign and transfer to the JIAATS Journal copyright and all right under it.
6. I/we agree to the terms that the JIAATS Journal will have to full right to remove the published article on any misconduct found in the published article.